Abilene Racing Forum Forum Index
Abilene Racing Forum

Abilene's #1 Car Forum

new guy, 06 GTO, 99 Solara

View previous topic :: View next topic  
just2damcoo
Jr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: new guy, 06 GTO, 99 Solara Reply with quote

I just picked up an 06 GTO almost 2 months ago when I finally got back to the states. I was overseas in Greece for 18 months. I wanted another car and this was kind of a welcome home/promotion present/early bday present to myself. I ended up driving to Houston to get this since the one I originally wanted in Dallas sold before I got to the dealership.

So the car is Spice Red, 59k miles, 6 speed, 18in wheels with a K&N fipk, relocated IAT sensor, mild ported stock intake, Kooks longtubes, catless mids and true duals ending in Flowmasters. It sounds pretty dam good and was a nice upgrade from my other car. I got a Predator on the way...hopefully that'll hold me over until I can make it over to SNL for a cam and tune

My other car is a 1999 Toyota Solara. It has a 3 liter 1MZ-FE V6 with a TRD M62 supercharger at 5.5 psi, 315cc Denso injectors, 255lph Walbro fuel pump, "Jim's fuel mod," 8.5mm Magnacor wires, Denso IK22 plugs, Okada Projects Plasma Booster, GLP Motorsports knock sensor kit, AEM FIC, UPFD cai, Devil's Own low boost meth injection, "Dat's Y-pipe", 2 1/2 inch test pipe. 3inch OBX catback, Flex-a-lite slim cooling fans, Whiteline rear sway bar, TRD strut tower brace, R1 Concepts rotors, Hawk Performance pads, Goodridge SS brake lines, TWM short shifter and Speed Source shifter bushings. I think I named everything lol. I have a Findanza flywheel and Spec stage 2 clutch in my household goods, so once all that, and the car gets here, it's going in the shop to get replaced. I might send the supercharger off for a rebuild and maybe a smaller pulley

I know, I know...the tail lights.....I didn't buy them but since everyone else has factory tails, I decided to leave them on

It hasn't been on the dyno yet, but other guys with similar mods have been putting down anywhere from 250 to 280 at the wheels. Stock 1MZ is rated at 200hp

CTx-V
Grandma Getter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will like the folks at SNL, great shop to work with. They have done all the work on my car.

Pulling me some Dust Bowl snatch one retirement home at a time.
just2damcoo
Jr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was on leave in El Paso I met another GTO owner and he told me I'd be more than satisfied with them. I just wish they were open on weekends lol
Full Abilene Racing Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Cars look good. I've always wanted a GTO but can't seem to step away from the 4bangers! Hope to see you out tonight!
BloodyZ04
Coming out of the closet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha definitly didnt expect that solara to have a S/C on it, i was reading then was like "Wait, did i read that right?" but badass man. and welcome
just2damcoo
Jr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don't Wink I'd love to upgrade to one of my friends custom MP90 kits, but I don't have the built block for it and the GTO has taken over the duties for funds reduction. Here's some vids of both

First half is pretty much stock, second half is the good stuff. I was still learning the AEM FIC and it was running EXTREMELY rich. The wideband was still in the mail when the s/c went on so I just added fuel everywhere lol. After I got the wideband, I wanted to see where it was....as you can tell by the pic at 1:55....9.5 afr lol. Few runs up and down the highway fixed that

Jr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 8 months after the install, I started getting a nasty misfire just short of redline. I didn't know whether it was fuel or ignition related. The blower takes up quite a bit more room than the stock intake manifold did, so it makes changing the rear plugs without pulling it off impossible. I figured since I was going to be in there anyway, might as well replace EVERYTHING that could probably cause. So I found some more injectors on ebay (50 bux for a set of 6 so I KNEW they didn't work) shipped them to WitchHunter and had them recondition, got 1 step colder plugs, new magnacor wires, coils, and an ignition control module.

Also, I was only getting between 9 at 13* ignition advance and I had codes for both knock sensors. That's where the GLP kit comes in. The stock sensors are sensitive. The rear sensor in particular will pick up blower noise and mistake it for knock. So once I had all my parts, off came the blower and in, went everything else.

It was a completely different car when I drove home. I read somewhere that 1 degree of timing equals about 4hp. My parts guy said I should have been seeing 20 to 24* at WOT, so I was leaving quite a bit of power on the table. Now I was actually taking advantage of the water injection. Before, it was bogging down, now I was picking up 1 to 3 degrees at certain points.

This was after everything was fixed and the y-pipe, test pipe and catback. It could still use a little work on the tune. Every few months I have to make some adjustments because it starts getting a little lean

She's not the fastest, but she's fun Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt solara hold the fastes fwd time till chris rado brought out his TC. nice cars tho and welcome
Turtle_SS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choo choo wrote:
didnt solara hold the fastes fwd time till chris rado brought out his TC. nice cars tho and welcome

Nope was a cobalt lol
Choo choo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is in 2009
Pro RWD
The first round of qualifying netted only one 6-second pass as the Turbonetics Celica/solara of Matt Scranton posted a 6.92.

and the red bull cobalt the 1400hp and chris rado both ran 6.87

so yes the cobalt and the tc are or where on top but few years back the solara was top and even then lossing by .05 years later is nothing to be assamed of
Turtle_SS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said FWD not Pro RWD
Choo choo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right by bad wow i admit im am a idiot
MasterForce

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you from el paso?
just2damcoo
Jr Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterForce wrote:
you from el paso?

yup

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just2damcoo wrote:
MasterForce wrote:
you from el paso?

yup

me too. thats crazy. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abilene Racing Forum Forum Index -> Intro's All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: